[Python-ideas] Fwd: Consider allowing the use of abstractmethod without metaclasses

Ivan Levkivskyi levkivskyi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 11:12:18 EDT 2017

To be honest, I am not very happy with addition of a new special class.
Imagine that the PEP 544 will be accepted (and I hope so).
Then we would have, abstract classes, abstract base classes, and protocols.
I think users will be overwhelmed by having
three similar concepts instead of one.

I think we still could squeeze a lot of performance from good old ABCs by
optimizing various parts and reimplementing some parts in C.
In fact, my desire to optimize and rewrite ABCMeta in C is partially due to
reluctance to add yet another concept of "abstractness".

--
Ivan