[Python-ideas] Add time.time_ns(): system clock with nanosecond resolution

Koos Zevenhoven k7hoven at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 16:53:09 EDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 6:12 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> Sorry about your frustration. I should not have given you hope about PEP
> 555 -- it was never going to make it, so I should just have spared you the
> effort. Do you want to withdraw it or do I have to actually reject it?

​That's definitely not the reason for the frustration. You already told me
earlier that you did not really like it. I think I know why you didn't, but
we now have more reasons than we had then. We're definitely in a different
place from where we started.

And I still succeeded in the most important thing that needed to be done.
The only thing is that, at least for now, nobody *really* needed the
awesome, clean, flexible and super performant solution that I had to come
up with to solve a wide class of problems which I thought many people would
actually have.

But that's not where the frustration came from either.

I'll finish the PEP for archiving, and for throwing it on the pile of other
PEPs that have tried to tackle these issues.

-- Koos

P.S. Of course this discussion really does not belong here, but at least
the time_ns discussion is now on python-dev anyway.