[Python-ideas] Make map() better

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Fri Sep 15 14:54:01 EDT 2017

On 9/15/17 2:03 PM, Jason H wrote:
> It's just not liked by the greybeards, which I can appreciate. "here's some new punk kid, get off my lawn!" type of mentality. Dunning-Kruger, etc.

I'm not sure if you meant this tongue-in-cheek or not.  The main problem
with your proposal is that it would break existing code. This seems like
a really flip way to address that concern.  I suspect even the hip young
kids would like existing code to keep working.

map() isn't even used much in Python, since most people prefer list
comprehensions.  There really are many differences between Python and
Javascript, which go much deeper than the order of arguments to built-in
functions.  You are in a multi-lingual world.  Accept it.

--Ned.