[Python-ideas] Make map() better

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Sep 15 15:26:14 EDT 2017

On 09/15/2017 11:03 AM, Jason H wrote:
> From: "Steven D'Aprano" <steve at pearwood.info>

 >> Um... what's in it for *us*? What benefit do we get?
 >
> How that question is answered, depends on who is 'us'? If you're a bunch of
 > python purist greybeards, then conceivably nothing.

How about refugees from other languages?  Your suggestions only make Python worse -- hardly a commendable course of action.

 > The features I've requested are to ease newcomers who will undoubtedly have
 > JS* experience.

The point of having different languages is to have different ways of doing things.  Certain mindsets do better with
Python's ways, others do better with JS's ways.  That doesn't mean we should have the languages converge into the same
thing.

Aside: your suggestion that anyone who likes the philosophy of Python and doesn't want to incorporate features from
other languages that are contrary to it is just old and set in their ways is offensive.  Such assertions weaken your
arguments and your reputation.

--
~Ethan~