[Python-ideas] Dart like multi line strings identation

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Apr 1 04:53:36 EDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 01, 2018 at 07:39:31AM +0000, Marius Räsener wrote:
> Ok I see this is nothing for any 3.x release.
[...]
> So, if at all, maybe something for Python 4 :)

No, that's the wrong conclusion to draw.

There are four options:

(1) Change the behaviour of triple-quoted strings, immediately as of
3.8. This is out. It will be out in 3.9, and 4.0.

(2) Change the behaviour of triple-quoted strings using a warning period
and a __future__ import. This would probably take a minimum of three
releases, but it could start in 3.8. However, anyone arguing in favour
of this would have to make a VERY good case for it.

(3) Leave the behaviour of triple-quoted strings alone, but introduce
new behaviour via a method, or a new prefix. Again, this could start as
early as 3.8 if someone makes a strong case for it.

(4) The status quo: nothing changes.

Python 4 will not be special like Python 3 was. Any new features in
Python 4 that break backwards compatibility will still be required to go
through a transition period, involving warnings and/or __future__
imports.

Python will possibly never again go through a major break like Python 2
to 3, but if it does, it may not until Python 5 or 6. So if you think
that waiting a few years means we will be free to make this change, no,
option (1) will still be out, even in Python 4.

Personally, I find the situation with triple-quoted strings and
indentation to be a regular low-level annoyance, and I'd like to see a
nice solution sooner rather than later.

Thank you for raising this issue again, even if nothing comes from it.

--
Steve