[Python-ideas] Spelling of Assignment Expressions PEP 572 (was post #4)

Mikhail V mikhailwas at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 15:42:52 EDT 2018

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 7:15 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 11:11:37PM +0800, Thautwarm Zhao wrote:
>
>> I think maybe we can use unicode characters like ≜ (\triangleq) and add the
>> support of unicode completion to python repl. The unicode completion of
>> editors or ides has been quite mature.
>
> What key combination do I need to type to get ≜ in the following editors
> please? I tried typing \triangleq but all I got was \triangleq.
>
> Notepad (Windows)
> Brackets (Mac)
> BBEdit (Mac)
> kwrite (Linux)
> kate
> nano
> geany
> gedit
>
> as well as IDLE, my mail client (kmail, Thunderbird or mutt), my web
> browsers (Firefox, Opera and Chromium), the interactive interpreter in
> various different consoles, my Usenet client (Pan and KNode) and IRC
> (pidgin).
>
> Oh, having it work in LibreOffice and GoogleApps too would be nice,
> although not essential since I don't often write code in them.

Typing should not be a problem generally. There are a lot of 3d-party apps which
can bind a key to specific char input, system-wide. On windows I use Autohotkey.
But no 100% guarantee of course for any editor.

> And what decent fonts do I need to install for ≜ to show up as something
> other than a square box ("missing glyph")?

Well, here it is way less optimistic :)
The chances to see that "delta equal to" sign in some random font /
random app is not so big.
It's only if you have fonts fallback system setup, and by default on
my windows it seems to
work only in Firefox browser.

Mikhail