[Python-ideas] Spelling of Assignment Expressions PEP 572 (was post #4)

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu Apr 19 02:43:33 EDT 2018

Steven D'Aprano writes:

 > What key combination do I need to type to get ≜ in the following editors
 > please? I tried typing \triangleq but all I got was \triangleq.

Your implied point is correct IMO, but all of the editors and
applications mentioned that I've used are perfectly happy with any
characters delivered by the OS.  So your question should be "what key
combination do I use ... in the following OSes and/or GUIs:" (I don't
have a list).  Ditto fonts (MS fonts tend to work crappily on Mac in
my experience, at least in Word and Excel).  I note that currently
there is heated debate on the Fedora lists about distributing the base
OS with decent East Asian font support, and I think the majority are
*opposed* (on the grounds that the size increase is noticable).  I've
also noticed that the recommended fonts on Linux seem to have been in
flux for decades, and even differ across distros much of the time.

Either way, teaching how to augment your OS is not the business of
Python, so we should stick to a reasonable approximation to the least
advanced environment, which is (TA-DA!) that of the U.S.