[Python-ideas] File format for automatic and manual tests

Victor Porton porton at narod.ru
Tue Aug 7 19:32:41 EDT 2018

On 08/08/18 02:18, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2018 at 12:57:51AM +0300, Victor Porton wrote:
>> This is an idea of a new PEP.
>>
>> I propose to create a portable file format which will list command line
>> options to run Python scripts with dual purpose:
> Feel free to create whatever file format you like. There are tens of
> thousands of them, one more won't hurt, and you certainly don't need to
> write a PEP first.
>
> But I see no reason why this has anything to do with the Python standard
> library. Can you explain why you want to distribute an experimental
> file format in the Python std lib?

As I pointed out, I want this format to become common (standardized!)
for different IDEs and other development environment.

> That means that the file format must be stable (you cannot make any
> future changes, due to backwards compatibility), and only available for
> Python 3.8 or higher.
We can support this file format with an library (rather than to
distribute it with Python) for: 1. make it available for the current
version of Python; 2. don't take space in Python distribution.

The issue is in the file format itself, not in the libraries it may be
processed by. I propose to make the PEP containing a description of the
file format (to be developed). It is important for integration among
different development environments.

The PEP should be marked as "stable" when the format becomes stable.