[Python-ideas] Syntactic sugar to declare partial functions

Abe Dillon abedillon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 00:56:24 EDT 2018

[Alex Walters]

> He is questioning the concept that the lambda keyword has caused any
> harm.  You assert that it caused minor harm.  Minor harm can still be real,
> significant, and non-trivial.

What, exactly, is the difference between "minor" and "non-trivial" and when
did I say the harm was "significant and non-trivial"?

[Alex Walters]

> You will find no evidence to support your argument.

You could read what I wrote to Neil Girdhar who was able to engage with me
without implying that I've lost my mind.

[Chris Angelico]

> If your reaction was extreme, saying so isn't attacking you.

Is this a hypothetical now? I said "*I think* they would (or do in the case
of 'lambda') harm Python." I wasn't aware the word "harm" was something
only deranged maniacs use.

[Chris Angelico]

> Explain, please, what the HARM is that comes from the use of the word
> "lambda".

I HAVE.

[Chris Angelico]

> Also, the signature is most decidedly NOT obvious from context

Who decided this? It's been decided by some committee? When you write a key
function, you don't know how many arguments are going to be passed?

[Chris Angelico]

> nor is it insignificant.

I never said it was. I just said that the logic is more important from the
standpoint of the reader.

[Chris Angelico]

> Putting it first gives context to the body of the
> function. Python made the correct choice here.

I disagree.

This forum is looking more and more toxic. I've explained myself over and
over again. I just wanted to +1 Steven's original comment. This is
ridiculous. I guess I've pissed of the good-old-boys by calling out
Steven's unnecessary condescension. Great. It looks like Python is in
fantastic hands.