[Python-ideas] Does jargon make learning more difficult?

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 12:11:41 EDT 2018

Hi Stephen

I've just been reading the (excellent) discussion, started by Victor Stinner

[Python-Dev] Translated Python documentation
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2017-February/147416.html
 # Start of thread.

You wrote, and asked for comments on:

> Finally, before getting the project into the hairy maintenance issues
> that go with distributing translations, I suggest the PSF could buy
> the high-quality tutorial books and textbooks (and maybe dictionaries
> as well) for translators.  Very cheap, but the symbolism that
> "somebody noticed, and they care!" is a big reward for many
> contributors.

I very much more prefer Victor's suggestion (I give the whole message):
===
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2017-February/147485.html

IHMO translating the *whole* Python documentation at once by a
professional translator can be very expensive, no somthing that the
PSF would affort. Which language would you pick? Depending on what?

We already have motivated translators for free who only ask us for the
permission to make tiny changes to make their life simpler and make
the doc more visible. I'm in favor of allowing them to translate and
make the translated doc official ;-)

IMHO a better usage of the PSF funding would be to organize some local
sprints to translate the Python documentation. Such sprints are fun,
cheap, and can be a nice opportunity to recruit free and motivated
translators. We are looking for people involved to translate the doc
the doc is updated, not only translate the doc once and go away.
Right?
===

--
Jonathan