[Python-ideas] A GUI for beginners and experts alike (Mike Barnett)

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Fri Aug 24 11:17:41 EDT 2018

> On 23 Aug 2018, at 23:14, Hugh Fisher <hugo.fisher at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 18:49:48 +0000
>> From: Mike Barnett <mike_barnett at hotmail.com>
>>
>> Python has dropped the GUI ball, at least for beginners (in my opinion)
>>
>> While the Python language is awesomely compact, the GUI code is far from compact.  Tkinter will create a nice looking GUI, but you've got to be skilled to use it.  A student in their first week of Python programming is not going to be working with tkinter.
>>
>> It would be nice if beginners could double click a .py file and have it launch straight into a GUI, like most of the programs people are used to using.
>>
>> I think I've stumbled onto a framework that could work very well for creating fairly complex custom-layout GUIs...
>
> Have you looked at PySide2? It's the latest Python wrapper for the QT
> cross platform
> GUI framework.

Or indeed PyQt5 that works great as a Qt python interface.
Last time I looked PySide2 had a lot of catching up to do to match
PyQt's API coverage.

> A graphical "hello world" in QT is only half a dozen or less lines of
> code in total, so
> meets the simplicity requirement.

I think 2 lines is simple, 12 is not really simple, is it?

> The big drawback of QT  for Python
> until now has
> been building the thing, but now it's on PyPI so "pip install"
> (should) Just Work.

You may have needed to build pySide2 yourself, however
PyQt4 and PyQt5 have been pip installable for a long time.

	pip install PyQt5

Barry