[Python-ideas] Python-ideas Digest, Vol 141, Issue 145

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 08:15:46 EDT 2018

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018 at 08:12, Jacco van Dorp <j.van.dorp at deonet.nl> wrote:

> Op ma 27 aug. 2018 om 23:18 schreef James Lu <jamtlu at gmail.com>:
>>
>> > As Matthew points out, you could use numpy.array. Or code your own
>> > class, by providing __add__ and __iadd__ methods.
>>
>> I could, but I don't think that justifies not having this functionality in python
>> standard. From the language experience perspective, numpy is often a
>> pain to install on most systems.

Numpy is easy to install:

    $ pip install numpy

Should work on OSX, Windows and Linux. In all cases this should
download a precompiled binary wheel. It used to be more difficult but
improvements in packaging (wheels, manylinux etc) and the good work of
the numpy folks have made this painless now.

Scipy (on Windows) is a different story.

--
Oscar