[Python-ideas] Python-ideas Digest, Vol 141, Issue 145

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Aug 29 08:24:29 EDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 01:15:46PM +0100, Oscar Benjamin wrote:

> >> I could, but I don't think that justifies not having this functionality in python
> >> standard. From the language experience perspective, numpy is often a
> >> pain to install on most systems.
>
> Numpy is easy to install:
>
>     $ pip install numpy

[steve at ando ~]$ pip install numpy
Collecting numpy
/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/requests/packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py:315:
SNIMissingWarning: An HTTPS request has been made, but the SNI (Subject
Name Indication) extension to TLS is not available on this platform.
This may cause the server to present an incorrect TLS certificate, which
can cause validation failures. For more information, see
https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/latest/security.html#snimissingwarning.
  SNIMissingWarning
  Could not fetch URL https://pypi.python.org/simple/numpy/: There was a
problem confirming the ssl certificate: [SSL:
TLSV1_ALERT_PROTOCOL_VERSION] tlsv1 alert protocol version (_ssl.c:645)
- skipping
  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement numpy (from
versions: )
No matching distribution found for numpy

I'm sure pip is great, but honestly I've never been able to get it to
work reliably, ever, on four different machines using four different
Linux distros.

In any case, the answer "just use Numpy" isn't really relevant to the
question about adding new syntax.

--
Steve