[Python-ideas] Support localization of unicode descriptions

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Tue Jul 10 17:20:51 EDT 2018

The problem with non-canonical translations of the Unicode character names
is that there is not one unique possible rendering into language X.
Equally, I could find synonyms in general English for the names, but one
would be official, the others at best informally clarifying.

For informational purposes I think it's great to have a third party project
to find out "Unicode character named 'Something In English' is roughly
translated as <whatever> in your native language." But it's hard to see how
an unofficial loose cross-language dictionary should be party of the
standard library.