[Python-ideas] Python docs page: In what ways is None special

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Jul 23 08:22:04 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 10:03:10AM +0100, Jonathan Fine wrote:

> I thought, a page on how None is special would be nice.

I think your document would be a great blog post. I don't think it is
very helpful as part of the standard documention, as it is more a
collection of arbitrary facts about None than a coherent "big picture"
document.

We could come up with such arbitrary lists for many other standard
objects too:

"Did you know... that operator dunder methods should return
NotImplemented to signal to the interpreter that the other operand's
method should be called?"

"Did you know that Ellipsis is the sole instance of class ellipsis,
reversing the usual convention that classes use InitialCaps and
instances lowercase?"

--
Steve