[Python-ideas] New PEP proposal -- Pathlib Module Should Contain All File Operations

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Mar 20 13:50:01 EDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 4:23 PM Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> > "justify the individual methods" and yet no one has done that yet, so
> any discussion other than trying to meet that need is not helping to move
> anything forward.

My intent was, and still is, to encourage just that. And the rest of my
message did say that ( I think).

We all have only so many roundtoits to spend on this — so I won’t be
writing that PEP, but I do think it’s worthwhile to encourage the OP ( or
anyone else ) to do so. Writing a PEP is a lot of work, one wants to know
it has a chance of being accepted.

Python really could be improved in this regard — it’s had a confusing API
for file system manipulations forever. Recent changes have helped, but it
would be nice to get all the way there.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov