[Python-ideas] support toml for pyproject support

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Oct 8 05:55:52 EDT 2018

Hi Jimmy, and welcome,

On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 09:10:40AM +0200, Jimmy Girardet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this was already debated  but I don't know how to search
> in the whole archive of the list.
>

> For  now the  adoption of pyproject.toml file is more difficult because
> toml is not in the standard library.

It is true that using third-party libraries is more difficult than using
the std lib. That alone is not a reason to add a library to the std lib.

> Each tool which wants to use pyproject.toml has to add a toml lib  as a
> conditional or hard dependency.
>
> Since toml is now the standard configuration file format,

It is? Did I miss the memo? Because I've never even heard of TOML before
this very moment.

Google Trends doesn't really support your assertion that TOML has become
"the standard" for config files:

# compare TOML, JSON and YAML
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fg%2F11c5zwr35t,%2Fm%2F05cntt,%2Fm%2F01w6k2

although it is trending upwards:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fg%2F11c5zwr35t

> it's strange
> the python does not support it in the stdlib lije it would have been
> strange to not have the configparser module.

We don't even ship a YAML library, and that seems to be far more popular
than TOML. On the other hand, we do ship a plist library.

> I know it's complicated to add more and more thing to the stdlib but I
> really think it is necessary for python packaging being more consistent.
>

> Maybe we could thought to a readonly lib to limit the added code.

What is a readonly lib?

--
Steve