[Python-ideas] support toml for pyproject support

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon Oct 8 06:22:59 EDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 2:55 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 09:10:40AM +0200, Jimmy Girardet wrote:
>> Each tool which wants to use pyproject.toml has to add a toml lib  as a
>> conditional or hard dependency.
>>
>> Since toml is now the standard configuration file format,
>
> It is? Did I miss the memo? Because I've never even heard of TOML before
> this very moment.

He's referring to PEPs 518 and 517 [1], which indeed standardize on
TOML as a file format for Python package build metadata.

I think moving anything into the stdlib would be premature though –
TOML libraries are under active development, and the general trend in
the packaging space has been to move things *out* of the stdlib (e.g.
there's repeated rumblings about moving distutils out), because the
stdlib release cycle doesn't work well for packaging infrastructure.

-n

[1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0518/
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0517