[Python-ideas] Clearer communication

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Feb 1 12:42:01 EST 2019

On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 06:21:07PM +0100, Robert Vanden Eynde wrote:
> That's a nice question !
>
> The main thing is "is this list more EmailLike or MessengerLike"

This is a perfect example of the problem that James is referring to. I
honestly cannot tell if you are being rhetorical, or if you are
so technically naive that you genuinely don't know that this is an email
mailing list rather than instant messenger or IRC or some other form of
instantaneous chat.

[...]
> When I speak on TraditionalDifferedEmail, I'm more like LBYL (Look before
> you Leap), I write a long, but structured message, such that people see
> first the structure, (intro, body, conclusion), and look in the message if
> they want.

That doesn't sound like the sorts of messages you have been sending
here recently.

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2019-January/055022.html

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2019-January/055028.html

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2019-January/055032.html

I don't mean this as a criticism of such short posts. Sometimes all that
needs to be said is a single sentence. But when you describe your
posting style one way, but actually post another way, that is precisely
the sort of confusing lack of clarity that this thread is about.

--
Steve