[Python-ideas] Clearer communication

Robert Vanden Eynde robertve92 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 12:59:33 EST 2019

> I honestly cannot tell if you are being rhetorical, or if you are
> so technically naive that you genuinely don't know that this is an email
> mailing list rather than instant messenger or IRC or some other form of
> instantaneous chat.

Both :p

Newcomers that never spoke on a forum are sometimes lost, they don't see
the structure. Therefore I'm helping those newcomers, and the old timer
will be like "yeah, he technically defines terms that are obvious for me".

When I was a newcomer on this list, I was lost, people said things like
"don't up post" or "don't put the answer below" or "answer inline" in a
jargon I didn't know about.

I'm CS teacher, and I see everyday that things not said explicitly create
misunderstanding to newcomers.

> [...]
> > When I speak on TraditionalDifferedEmail, I'm more like LBYL (Look before
> > you Leap), I write a long, but structured message, such that people see
> > first the structure, (intro, body, conclusion), and look in the message
> if
> > they want.
>
> That doesn't sound like the sorts of messages you have been sending
> here recently.

Yep, depending on the thread, I'm either type EAFP or LBYL, and I think
people can easily guess which type :) (long message = LBYL).

However, I don't always "read myself two times" before I send (because of
my EAFP nature) so my last mail for example was LBYL but has some spelling
mistakes.

--

And I guess people will ask if they are not sure.

I don't mean this as a criticism of such short posts. Sometimes all that
> needs to be said is a single sentence.

Agreed !!

But when you describe your
> posting style one way, but actually post another way, that is precisely
> the sort of confusing lack of clarity that this thread is about.

Indeed, mixing standards is bad, but on the other hand, people can think
"Robert is Eafp", "Robert is more LBYL when writing long messages")