[Python-ideas] Clearer communication

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Feb 2 05:20:40 EST 2019

On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 05:36:09PM -0600, Abe Dillon wrote:

> B) I don't know of any forum system that allows you to misrepresent some
> one else.

Core developer Brett Cannon has taken up editing other people's comments
on github if he doesn't approve of their tone.

    I'm now proactively editing people's comments on issues so
    they are less aggressive, e.g. "You need" becomes "it would
    be great if", etc.

https://twitter.com/brettsky/status/1006660998860640256

And later:

    If they don't like it then I will simply ban them.

Take note of how many people responding to Brett think it is a wonderful
idea. The ability to edit other people's posts is considered a feature,
not a bug.

Github (currently) provides the full history of edits to each post.
Reddit just has a flag that shows you whether a post was edited or not.
Isn't technology wonderful?

--
Steven