[Python-ideas] PEP 8 and long string literals

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 05:23:47 EST 2019

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 10:05 AM INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think long URL in comment or docstring is good reason to ignore
> line length limit.

A very good point. We can't banish long URLs from the Internet,
because they violate PEP 8.

> But I'm not sure about general long string literals.

I hope programmers would be sensible in their use of long string
literals (as with their choice of variable names). However, I don't
think this can be reliable machine checked, with the tools we
presently have. Machines find it hard to determine programmer intent,
except via a formal language.

--
Jonathan