[Python-ideas] PEP 8 and long string literals

David B dwblas at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 13:06:34 EST 2019

I generally break them up and then use  "".join() as that is "most
readable" IMHO.  The same is true for SQL queries.

On 2/25/19, Jonathan Fine <jfine2358 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 10:05 AM INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I think long URL in comment or docstring is good reason to ignore
>> line length limit.
>
> A very good point. We can't banish long URLs from the Internet,
> because they violate PEP 8.
>
>> But I'm not sure about general long string literals.
>
> I hope programmers would be sensible in their use of long string
> literals (as with their choice of variable names). However, I don't
> think this can be reliable machine checked, with the tools we
> presently have. Machines find it hard to determine programmer intent,
> except via a formal language.
>
> --
> Jonathan

With the simplicity of true nature, there shall be no desire.
Without desire, one's original nature will be at peace.
And the world will naturally be in accord with the right Way.  Tao Te Ching