LDAP.SIZELIMIT_EXCEEDED exception thrown erroneously?

Nick Reinking nick at sigfs.org
Tue Dec 4 17:58:30 CET 2001

David, maybe you can help me.  I've got a really large in-house LDAP search
engine that I've built, and I've come across something rather unusual.

>>> import ldap

>>> ldap.__version__
'1.10alpha3'

>>> a = ldap.open("ldapsm")

>>> a
<LDAP {lberoptions:1, deref:DEREF_NEVER, timelimit:0 (NO_LIMIT), sizelimit:0 (NO_LIMIT), errno:4, error:'', matched:'', refhoplimit:5, options:< OPT_REFERRALS >}>

>>> a.simple_bind_s("","")

>>> result = a.search_st("o=supervalu.com",ldap.SCOPE_SUBTREE,"uid=*homth0*")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ldap.SIZELIMIT_EXCEEDED: {'desc': 'Sizelimit exceeded'}

However, if I do the same search in PHP, I get just one (relatively small)
result.  Why is this happening (especially since sizelimit == 0)?

Thanks!

- Nick Reinking