installation issues

John E. Mayorga jmayorga5 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 23:30:36 CET 2002

I've read the mailing list archives, the docs, the FAQ, done multiple searches with google, tried, and experimented, and now I have to ask: what's wrong with this?

I'm getting the following error when running make (or "python setup.py build" for that matter):

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "setup.py", line 38, in ?
    if cfg.has_option('_ldap', 'class'):
AttributeError: has_option
make: *** [build] Error 1

Here is my setup.cfg:

# Section for compiling the C extension module
# for wrapping OpenLDAP 2 libs

[_ldap]
class = OpenLDAP2
library_dirs = /usr/local/lib
include_dirs = /usr/local/include
libs = lber ldap resolv

# Installation options

[install]

compile = 1
optimize = 1

I simply "tar zxvf python-ldap-2.0.0pre4.tar.gz", cd to the resulting directory, tweak the setup.cfg to the above, and run make.

I'm running a plain vanilla RedHat 7.2 with a fresh install of openldap-2.0.23 using the simple instructions for compiling, testing, and installing it.  My goal is to get web2ldap running, and I've worked on this little problem for over a day.

Please embarass me by offering a simple solution. :-)

John