what do you do with Python

Wesley J. Chun wesc at rocketmail.com
Fri Apr 16 18:43:36 EDT 1999

In article <199904142107.XAA19293 at axil.hvision.nl>,
  "Hans Nowak" <ivnowa at hvision.nl> wrote:
> On 14 Apr 99, Ce'Nedra took her magical amulet and heard susan e paolini say:
>
> >I never see jobs with Python advertised so what is it that Python does?

hi susan,

yes, you have to still look somewhat *deep* to find jobs with "python*
there, but they *are* there.  contracting jobs as well as full-time.
in fact, my group at work is hiring someone where python would be a
good skill to have (although unfortunately not a full-time python job!)

> Hmm, seriously though, it's good for a lot of things. I'm sure that there are
> lots of people around who can explain it better than I can, but I'll give it
> a try anyway. Python is a highly flexible and dynamic language, useful for
> programs ranging from simple scripts to large projects (for instance, the
> Grail web browser). It's also very readable and thus maintainable. It
> provides ways for object-oriented, procedural and even functional programming
> (to some extent). If Python itself doesn't do what you want, you can extend
> it in C, or possibly another language if your platform allows it.

it is esp. great for when c/c++/java is too "heavy" to use,
but shell scripts, etc., are too weak to handle.  it's the
perfect, "in-between" language!

> Myself, I'm using it for just about everything now. I wrote a Magic the
> Gathering database & search engine, a Vedic astrology program, a board game,
> a signature file generator, a spell checker, a card game, an ftp thingy, etc.
> etc. and *lots* of little scripts to make life easier.

stuff we have done with python...  let's see, lots of scripts
as mentioned above, software that manages all the dirty nightly
tasks, statistics gathering programs, schedule-management stuff,
hardware monitoring systems, web-based email systems :-), etc.

some day soon, not only will you *see* python in the job descrip-
tion, but it will also be "required."  :*)

-wesley