More random python observations from a perl programmer

Les Schaffer godzilla at netmeg.net
Sun Aug 22 12:47:13 EDT 1999

/F said:

> certain well-known Perlers sometimes like to pretend that the
> mathematical meaning is the only valid one, but that's not entirely
> true...

okay. but what is the significance of __this__ orthogonal in the
statement:

"The builtins strive to stick to those type/operator combos that make
plain sense; Guido has never been a fan of gratuitous orthogonality."

does it mean simply that guido et al believe not all type/operator
pairs need coverage in the builtins? something like "we dont feel the
need to span all of type/operator space since the phase space of
python coder trajectories seems well bounded by the span of existing
pairs"

les

--
____        Les Schaffer              ___| --->> Engineering R&D <<---
Theoretical & Applied Mechanics          |  Designspring, Inc.
Cornell Univ.  schaffer at tam.cornell.edu  |  les at designspring.com