if you want POSIX, import posix, not os

Michael P. Reilly arcege at shore.net
Tue Aug 17 11:35:39 EDT 1999

Skip Montanaro <skip at mojam.com> wrote:

: Michael> The better question is:
: Michael>    Why did it change from documenting these components in the OS-
: Michael>    dependant sections (specifically only posix) to documenting them
: Michael>    mostly in the module-os section in the current release?

: I think it was because they were trying to steer people toward

:     import os

: so new users didn't know to look in the posix chapter for the docs.

That was my point. ;)  The "powers-that-be" think the idiom that should
be used is "import os".  It does not mean that "import posix" cannot be
used, but that you should know what you are "giving up" if you do.

  -Arcege