Defining VCL-like framework for Python

Alexander Staubo earlybird at mop.no
Tue May 25 00:24:46 EDT 1999

In article <7i9nq5$a9m$2 at cronkite.cc.uga.edu>, graham at sloth.math.uga.edu
says...
> Alexander Staubo (nospam-alex at mop.no) wrote:
> : For example, JavaBeans gives you nonvisual JDBC beans for
> : feeding data to a set of "database-aware" controls. Since a database is a
> : high-level, non-visual construct, you can't put it on the screen, but you
> : can interact with it through a standard set of properties (eg.,
> : "TableName"), methods ("Open") and events ("OnChange").
>
> So I must be missing something. How does defining all these components
> differ from defining implementations of interfaces (the interfaces tell
> you the standard properties).

In Python, the distinction between class instances and a
"component" fortunately is much less present than in Delphi, which uses
ObjectPascal.

The core of Delphi's component architecture is its RTTI [Run-Time Type
Information] support, which consists partly of an API for extracting type
info from classes, types, etc. There is a class-level counterpart to this
API, which lets you obtain the identity of a class, its name, etc. This
architecture is arguably not ideally elegant, but it works surprisingly
well. It permits you, for example, to enumerate the properties of a
class, or get a string representing the name of an enumerated type.

How is this stuff used in practice? When you define a component, you
typically designate a set of properties (attributes) as being
"published". This tells Delphi a few things, such as that the properties
should be visible for editing, and that the properties such be
persistent. Whenever Delphi streams you component, it stores the
properties well. (There's a storage modifier for disabling this.)

Properties need not be just simply data members, like C++: Delphi
supports accessor methods tied to properties, so "o.Width = 1" might
translate to a call to "o.SetWidth(1)".

Oh, and events are also properties. This part of Delphi is admittedly
somewhat simplistic, and compared to the JavaBeans event system
(for example) (which Borland actually designed), actually a tad
primitive. But again, it works surprisingly well. Components typically
export function pointer properties. At design time, Delphi shows these
properties in a separate list and permits you to assign code snippets to
them, implicitly associating the code snippet (function) as a pointer to
the property.

The "magic" of Delphi is perhaps in the persistence mechanism. Whenever
you a design a form, the form and its components are stored in a
separate, proprietary-formatted binary file. This process is almost
identical to Python's pickling except Delphi does it "the hard way", by
using the RTTI APIs to discover properties, and then store them. Classes
can overload the I/O functions for properties that require special
handling.

I'm puzzled by what you mean by...

> defining implementations of interfaces (the interfaces tell you the
> standard properties).

...though. Interface as in a Python class decl?

One reason I believe we need an additional layer or two of abstraction --
what I'm proposing as the "VCL-like framework" -- is that you would never
ever want to stream _all_ attributes when streaming a "component"
(whatever it is, and however it is implemented); only a well-defined
subset.

A second reason is that I'd like to use acquisition as the inheritance
model for properties. Not something that you'd easily graft onto
toolkits like wxPython or tkinter, afaik.

A third reason is that in order to wrap a nice, warm development
environment around the whole thing, a protocol needs to exist for
importing controls and component-like thingies into the system. They need
to follow a specific protocol designed for this purpose, and none of the
GUI toolkits have that.

There are other reasons, too. I'm considering delineating them formally
in a proposal document rather than throwing around loosely connected
thoughts here. Those that know Delphi seem to have grasped the idea
pretty quickly, though. :-)

As to what is a framework, various people have explained this concept
pretty well. I'm not sure that the distinction is significant; I for one
would not like a totalitarian framework that imposes a completely new
application model -- I believe we can avoid that, just as the VCL avoids
it [pretty well].

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom smashers and a beautiful