how big is your python?

Jon V. jon at cranium.wincam.com
Wed May 5 17:43:46 EDT 1999

Hi all,

This should be a quick one... I'm in the process of specifying a
"scripting" language for a new Linux based product we are working on, and
I'm weighing the possibility of using python for a lot of the internals.
Now, I'm sure that occurs to a lot of folks, and I even saw the post in
here a couple of weeks ago about minimum Python implementations... but I
need some specifics.

Sorry if this stuff is covered in some easy to find location.... for
somebody... dumb as I am, I couldn't find it.

a) How do I find the minimum python runtime size for a 68K (ColdFire)
based Linux system? I'm talking about the stuff that is required for *any*
program to run...

b) are the .py files in the libraries used? Or is everything that you need
in the .pyc and pyo files? Obviously, we would be trimming the libraries
installed on the target machine, but I need to know how much chaff I am
looking at. (i.e. I counted something like 7.5M in a quickie scan of
/usr/lib/python1.5/... how much is required to maintain 100%
functionality? I can start pairing down from there.)

Are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of??? I'm asking before I
dig into the code so I can get a handle on the project's scale and
practicality... I'm not looking to rewrite the entire code base, and time
is going to be a major factor... I'm looking at a max. of a month to spend.

Also, are there *available* implementations of ftp/http/etc for python
that I can slap in and use? Not a major amount of work, but it would help
if they were ready-built.

TIA,
	Jon

Jon Valesh                  \  The ultimate in Accessible Digital Cameras
StarDot Technologies         \   for the Internet...
6820-H Orangethorpe Avenue,   \   for Security...
Buena Park, CA 90620           \   for Remote installations...
http://www.stardot-tech.com     \     meeting your needs since 1989.