how big is your python?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Thu May 6 04:04:47 EDT 1999

Jon V. wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This should be a quick one... I'm in the process of specifying a
> "scripting" language for a new Linux based product we are working on, and
> I'm weighing the possibility of using python for a lot of the internals.
> Now, I'm sure that occurs to a lot of folks, and I even saw the post in
> here a couple of weeks ago about minimum Python implementations... but I
> need some specifics.
>
> Sorry if this stuff is covered in some easy to find location.... for
> somebody... dumb as I am, I couldn't find it.
>
> a) How do I find the minimum python runtime size for a 68K (ColdFire)
> based Linux system? I'm talking about the stuff that is required for *any*
> program to run...

Don't know about the minimal size, but as a reference to how big
the full standard distribution is, have a look at the contributed
binaries for the mxCGIPython project:

	http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/mxCGIPython.html

The binaries include the Python interpreter as well as the
standard Python lib (the .py files in Lib/) in optimized byte-code
form (.pyo). Tkinter is not included.

The sizes range from ~600kB to ~700kB.

> b) are the .py files in the libraries used? Or is everything that you need
> in the .pyc and pyo files? Obviously, we would be trimming the libraries
> installed on the target machine, but I need to know how much chaff I am
> looking at. (i.e. I counted something like 7.5M in a quickie scan of
> /usr/lib/python1.5/... how much is required to maintain 100%
> functionality? I can start pairing down from there.)
>
> Are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of??? I'm asking before I
> dig into the code so I can get a handle on the project's scale and
> practicality... I'm not looking to rewrite the entire code base, and time
> is going to be a major factor... I'm looking at a max. of a month to spend.
>
> Also, are there *available* implementations of ftp/http/etc for python
> that I can slap in and use? Not a major amount of work, but it would help
> if they were ready-built.

All builtin; Python comes with "batteries included" as someone put
it ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                            Y2000: 239 days left