Python 2.0

Markus Stenberg mstenber at cc.Helsinki.FI
Sun May 30 18:12:51 EDT 1999

"Darrell" <news at dorb.com> writes:
> Yet my gut evaluation says Gnome can be quite slow.
> I'm tempted to blame this on Corba.

Oh? I've played with vanilla-RH6.0 and gnome stuff it had, and it seemed
fairly decent. (Disclaimer: I hate GUI stuff in general, though, so no
Gnome in real use)

> Has anyone else noticed that Gnome is slow and can Corba be
> blamed in part for that ? Is Corba generally slower than COM ?
> Does any of this matter ?

CORBA is about as fast as COM, protocol-wise I think it is even slightly
faster (much less action behind the scenes), _but_ many implementations
suck.

> Also does an open source bridge exist between Corba and COM ?
> Picture a Corba/COM component that lives in UNIX and is
> callable from Windows. Sort of takes the hot air out of arguments to use
> NT servers.

At least M$ brags in their whitepapers that DCOM can access CORBA via some
bridges (available where? I know not), so I suppose such a beast exists.

-Markus