The way to a faster python [was Python IS slow !]

Martijn Faassen faassen at pop.vet.uu.nl
Wed May 12 10:31:28 EDT 1999

Terry Reedy wrote:

> My current thought on how to flag static declarations is to use $
> currently unused in Python). Either
>
> A. make $ an alternate comment char:
> standard python would ignore static declarations;
> P2C, Swallor, or whatever, would use info.
>
> or
>
> B. make #$ the 'static declaration follows' marker.
>
> A is prettier; B can be done now and forever with no change to the core.

Something like this could work when C Python supports it, but I think if
we want a strict subset of Python (which has a lot of advantages),
something like my proposed type info in dictionaries is the way to go.

After all, we can always add a preprocessor later that strips out fancy
typing info (using $ or whatever) and puts it in a dictionary.

Regards,

Martijn