.dll and .exe file version informaton

Bruce Wheeler NOSPAMbruce_wheeler at hp.com.NOSPAM
Wed Nov 10 16:18:53 EST 1999

Robin Boerdijk wrote:

> Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote in message
> news:000101bf2b3c$a7d43e40$d32d153f at tim...
> > [emuller at painewebber.com]
> > > Can anyone give me an idea how to quikly get the version info on .dll
> > > and .exe files under windows?
> >
> > In Explorer, right-click on the file, select Properties from the context
> > menu, and click the Version tab.
>
> Strange... My Explorer only gives me a General tab. Quickview in the context
> menu, however, shows a lot of technical info about the selected .dll or
> .exe.
>
> Robin

Not all .dll or .exe contain version info. Perl.exe does, python.exe
doesn't although it is in python15.dll. You need to include the info in
a resource file. If you want to get at it from a program, use the win32
api - GetFileVersionInfo. Possibly this is available for Python in Mark
Harmmond's win32all package.

regards,
Bruce_Wheeler at hp.com