.dll and .exe file version informaton

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.nl
Sat Nov 13 20:14:55 EST 1999

On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 12:30:10AM -0500, Tim Peters wrote:

> [emuller at painewebber.com]
> > Can anyone give me an idea how to quikly get the version info on .dll
> > and .exe files under windows?

> In Explorer, right-click on the file, select Properties from the context
> menu, and click the Version tab.

> go-ahead-just-*try*-to-write-a-program-to-do-that<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim

Chuckle. This is not as funny as it seems. We actually do that. That is, the
company I work for has a windows 'Internet Kit', which installs all kinds of
programs for you, configures dialup networking, etc -- by doing exactly what
you describe. It only has a few drawbacks... it requires the user to sit
back and not touch the keyboard (but then, it's intended for people who do
not want to hassle with their PC's setup) and it's written in VB ;)

Of course, the Kit uses dirty tricks to avoid OCR'ing an application window
to find out what it says ;)

Typical-windows-app-it-only-goes-wrong-with-the-clueless'ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>