Just like in our DNA...

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Thu Oct 7 15:03:00 EDT 1999

François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
[snip]
> In an international community of free software developers, we try to use
> a reasonable level of English, and it is a real pleasure that people are
> impeccable, on the average.  And if it gets difficult, there is no problem
> if the difficulty brings with it some bits of culture, literature, movies,
> theatre; this is all good, nice, and very welcome.  But when the difficulty
> gets reduced to a local-centric commercial trademark for some insignificant
> drug, by all the hell tell me, which kind of culture is that...

American culture! :) Is it a problem that something has a weird name,
as long as you can use it? Things have to be given names, after all, and
it's fun to be creative. I mean, the acronym 'GNU' is quite bizarre to
outsiders (non programmers) as well.

Anyway, I shouldn't post so much in this thread!

Regards,

Martijn