do ... while loop

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Oct 15 21:33:43 EDT 1999

Gordon McMillan <gmcm at hypernet.com> wrote:
>> Eh?  Weren't the people on the Mayflower from Britain?

> Well, Martijn undoubtedly meant the Mayflour, which wasn't a
> ship but a windmill that got picked up in particularly stiff
> breeze and landed in Plymouth. Michigan, that is. The miller
> and his wife, being Dutch, had no idea what had happened.
> They tried raising tulips, but that didn't work, so they started
> building dikes. Later, of course, they merged with Buick. But
> you can still hear the sound of wooden shoes when attempting
> to accelerate one up a steep hill.

Cool, what's the point of departure for this timeline? Whoops, wrong
newsgroup, I thought this was soc.history.what-if

Actually see my other reply in this thread. I should say something about
Python instead, though. I feel ashamed. :)

> anything-else-you-wanted-to-know?-ly y'rs

I like your story much better than the real history!

And as an intern at Buick, Guido worked on a way to script this MP3 player
for cars they were developing. He hacked up this single purpose scripting
language which he called Python. A mechanic called Tim Peters, who was
always looking for ways to twist things into functions nowhere near their
original purpose (at Buick, he was responsible for the invention of
the Information Superhighway), tried to advocate the use of Guido's hack
as a general programming language. And strangely enough, people believed him
and started using it. They should've stuck to Perl. Then the alien
space bats created the timbot, who started comp.lang.python, and that's
how we've all arrived where we are now.

for-more-on-the-bats-read-soc.history.what-if-ly yours,

Martijn