Splitting c.l.py (was Re: python call external program (WHAT THE?!))

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Fri Sep 17 11:30:49 EDT 1999

Hi All--

Terry Reedy wrote:

> Rather than splitting the group, what might be helpful are agreed-upon
> 'designators' such as WIN, W95, WNT, UNX, TK consistently placed at the
> head of subject lines when appropriate.

Splitting the group sucks.  The community is not a paramecium; there's
no point to fission without syzygy.

It might be helpful with the WIN, W95 etc. markers, but I belong to
another mailing list in which such marking is enforced, and what it does
as far as I can tell is restrict what you think you can say to a set of
pre-ordained categories.  Then somebody comes in with something that
doesn't fit in a box, so they dump the category markers, and get flamed.

So I guess I'm against that too.

<whatever-it-is-i'm-agin-it>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70