How to sell Python to your boss?

randall_burns_hp at my-deja.com randall_burns_hp at my-deja.com
Thu Sep 2 20:53:31 EDT 1999

In article <ka8yaf7d84t.fsf at delightful.cs.hut.fi>,
  Petri Mikael Kuittinen <eye at niksula.hut.fi>
wrote:
> I have lots of programming experience in C, and
>much less in Python. Despite this I am confident
>that I would be able to implement
> the prototype using Python many times faster
>than using C.
Well, I agree that you are representative of a
big constituency out there. We've been making
substantial use of Python at HP/Cupertino and our
experience so far indicates that Python can be
used to develop programs rapidly that can be
maintained easily.

So far, one of our biggest issues has been finding
developers enthusiastic about developing in
Python.  I've seen lots of folks who are rather
pessimistic about Python's future(my current boss
is not among them).

If anyone would like to talk to me about Python
opportunities at HP/Cupertino, I'd be happy
to speak with them(we are doing some substantial
e-commerce applications in Python).

> I can understand my bosses opinion. He wants to
protect the interest
> of this firm. If I would leave the firm, then
someone else would have
> tp spend time learning Python in order to
modify my program code.

There is a lot to be said for sticking with
widely used languages. The problem is that
the mostly widely used languages may not be suited
for all areas.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/