Returning none

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Sep 4 02:36:35 EDT 1999

clgonsal at keeshah.penguinpowered.com says...

> One of the other ideas I'd proposed was
>the removal of "expression" as a type of statement.

But this would disable the eval-loop behaviour of interactive-mode
Python that is *SO* handy for learning and testing and which is one of
the features that attracted me to Python and is one of the features
distinguishing it from some competitors.

To avoid this, you would have to build knowledge of and variant
behaviour based upon the operation mode (interactive vs. batch/runtime).
At present, I believe, the byte-code compiler acts the same regardless
of whether the input string comes from file, keyboard, or program
construction.

Terry J. Reedy