And Now For Something Completely Similar !!!

Robert Kern kernr at mail.ncifcrf.gov
Wed Sep 1 18:04:46 EDT 1999

On Wed, 01 Sep 1999 16:48:24 -0400, David Oppenheimer
<davidopp at megsinet.net> wrote:

>I found the PIL (still can't swallow this PIL with the 1.5.2 distribution ...
>lol) here:
>http://www.python.org/download/download_windows.html
>
>I have tried downloading and installing your package (py15) from here
>http://www.pythonware.com/downloads.htm#pil
>and found that now everything now seems to work (although with a version of
>Python that is over a year removed from the most current distro available).
>
>Which leads me to two very interesting questions:
>
>1) Do I have to wait for you to get around to making a new pre compiled
>package to use PIL with Python 1.5.2?

No, the PIL binary should work on a normal install (i.e. from
www.python.org, not the py15 package).  No one has gotten around to
distributing a Windows binary for 1.0, yet, but 1.0b1 is available
from <URL:
http://starship.python.net:9673/crew/da/Code/PIL/PIL_win32.tar.gz>.
Just use Winzip to unpack it into your Python directory (it will
create a "pil" subdirectory), and create a text file named "pil.pth"
in your Python directory.  Its contents should be the single word
"pil".

Another suggestion, echoed at least one other on this thread, would be
to *not* install Python as a subdirectory of "C:\Program Files".  The
spaces tend to screw things up a lot.

>2) Why isn't a module which has broad appeal like the Python Imaging Library
>included with the core Python 1.5.2 package?

Release schedules, lean&mean-ness, not enough people needing to
manipulate images in Python, etc.

>For that matter why not include
>NumPy also.

<IMHO>
That one, I'd have to agree with.  I think that NumPy arrays and
ufuncs should become core datatypes.  They're just too useful.
</IMHO>

>It sure would save alot of headaches for those of us that don't
>dream in 1's and 0's.
>
>I'm going to guess that your answer would be something along the lines of
>"code bloat", but since 1.5.1, the code has bloated from 2.3 MB to 5 MB.

It wasn't the code that bloated, just that the Windows installer was
altered to include the Tcl/Tk installer as well.  The major motivation
behind that decision, I think was the inclusion of IDLE in the main
release.  We didn't want people being turned off from Python because
the IDE that came with it didn't work Out-Of-Box.

[snip]

>Thanks,
>
>David O.

[snip]

Robert Kern           |
----------------------|"In the fields of Hell where the grass grows high
This space            | Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
intentionally         |           - Richard Harter
left blank.           |