Python and COM without Automation (Dispatch)

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Apr 3 19:26:09 EDT 2000

"Vespe Savikko" <vespe at cs.tut.fi> wrote in message
news:vphd7o7b1vc.fsf at hiirihaukka.cs.tut.fi...

> From the book _Python Programming on Win32_ I gather that I
would have
> to create a PythonCOM extension DLL and that might even be
quite a
> simple and possibly automated process (with the help of SWIG
and other
> tools), but I haven't been able to find any detailed
instructions on
> the subject.

Yes, and unfortunately there are no detailed instructions.  These
will never become "general tools" - they were written to assist
with the work already done, and are obviously free to be used by
anyone - but they will never become polished, documented tools.

> I haven't walked through the win32com source code yet so if the
> necessary information is located somewhere among the source
files, you
> can ignore this message.

I suggest you use SWIG, as it sounds like you only need to call
interfaces, not implement them.  In this case I would look at the
way MAPI is done, and just clone that.  You will need the SWIG
you should be able to find buried at my starship page...

Mark.