New Python Books

Eugene Goodrich bitbucket at isomedia.com
Mon Jan 10 18:12:53 EST 2000

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000 09:56:25 -0800 (PST), python at commandprompt.com
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I recently posted this message to comp.os.python:

>Last but definitely not least, no matter what we do, if we publish a
>Python book, 20% to 40% of the Gross Profits would go back to the PSA.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better, should y'all make such a book, to
price it 20% to 40% below what one would expect.  I apologize for
appearing to volunteer away PSA's money (which I couldn't do, because
I don't even know the PSA), but when it comes to forking out dollars
for documentation, I always find myself worried if I'm getting "the
exact right book," because I can generally only justify buying one at
the typical prices.

One of the unfortunate realities of documentation is that no single
source is everything you need (with a few 65-lb exceptions).  So life
might be better if the Python newbie could afford _two_* pieces of
dead-tree documentation.

     -Eugene

* Yeah, I know that 20%-40% off a single book doesn't double your
purchasing power.  So just assume that the average newbie can
typically afford 1.6 to 1.8 doc books, and ...
import binascii; print binascii.a2b_base64 ('ZXVnZW5lQGlzb21lZGlhLmNvbQ==')