Win32Installer + Numeric, anyone succeeded?

Just van Rossum just at letterror.com
Sun Jan 23 07:51:13 EST 2000

At 7:12 AM -0500 23-01-2000, Mike Fletcher wrote:
>I've been trying to get a Win32Installer standalone binary created for an
>application I've been working on.  However, the application dies with a
>memory read failure on what looks like a null pointer when trying to import
>multiarray.pyd (which the win32installer has placed in the target
>directory).  This is the standard multiarray.pyd from the LLNL distribution
>and the "f" release of win32installer.  Has anyone successfully created a
>standalone programme which includes Numeric?

Maybe this is related to a problem I had doing a similar thing on the Mac:

Numeric relies on _numpy.pyd, but _numpy was not imported in any Python
code, just C code, so freeze's modulefinder (which the Win installer also
uses I think) didn't notice it. And Numeric indeed crashes horribly when
the _numpy shared lib isn't available. I think this was later fixed by a
dummy "import _numpy" somewhere. Maybe you can check whether _numpy.pyd
gets included at all, and if your version of Numeric includes the dummy
import (in Numeric.py I believe).

Just