newbie embedding questions

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Thu Jan 6 19:32:52 EST 2000

Jason Maskell wrote:

[Will Ware recommends extending with SWIG]

> Actually, I was looking at that this afternoon, and right now.
> Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any binaries available, and
> compiling it in BCB is looking to be a huge chore. I suppose I
> could install VC again, but that seems like a big hassle just to
> compile this tool and uninstall it.

The real point is that embedding and extending are not
mutually exclusive. In your situation, doing both makes perfect
sense. If you follow the normal extending procedure, you'll
have a .dll. Establishing direct communication between the .dll
and your embedding app (if you need it) may involve a bit of
trickery; you should probably let Python load the .dll and use
CObjects to pass a C pointer through Python back to your
embedding app.

If you want them all in one, you could look at the inittab stuff,
which would let the embedding app add a new builtin to
Python.

You've got a ton of options. If it starts to get too complex, look
around for another way to try it.

- Gordon