deque vs list: performance notes

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Sun Jun 4 15:46:27 EDT 2000

Ben Wolfson wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jun 2000 19:18:03 GMT, Courageous <jkraska1 at san.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
> >it would also be possible to allow my deque
> >implementation to be concatenated in as well, but I didn't do it,
> >because I didn't want to force the module dependency.
>
> Surely that code could be wrapped in #ifdef/#endif?

Well, of course. I tend to think about these things as binary
releases, but I suppose I could put conditional compilation code
in yes. That's a good idea. :)-

Another option would be to create a single ADT module which
contained *all* the container classes: deque, dlist, pqueue,
and anything else I come up with. Right now, the python idiom
for using these things is usually something like:

import deque

d = deque.create()

... but it could just as easily be ...

import adt

dq = adt.deque()
pq = adt.pqueue(n)
dl = adt.dlist(n)

BTW, I was trying to figure out how to pass 'optional' args
to external C functions and couldn't grok it. Anyone know how?
(I wanted pqueue and dlist to default to 10 or something if no
n was offered).

C/