Python, Glade, & GTK

Robert rhicks at nospam.rma.edu
Fri Jun 2 12:04:12 EDT 2000

Glade ExampleWhy don't the GLADE maintainers just incorporate the ability to
save as Python code? It would be the thing that makes me swing from KDE to
GNOME.

Bob

Mitch Chapman <chapman at bioreason.com> wrote in message
news:39295964.BD653227 at bioreason.com...
Mafee wrote:
> Can anyone give me some clues of linking python code to a GUI interface
> generate by Glade or GTK or whatever please?

Here's an example.  Two files are attached.

GladeBase.py provides two base classes.  Class UI creates a widget
hierarchy from a Glade file.  Class Controller provides an
MVC-style controller for the UI.  The main() function of the module
shows how to use these base classes to build and control a GUI.

ui.glade is a simple user interface created using Glade.  If you
plop it into the same directory with GladeBase.py and then run
GladeBase.py, you should get an application window on your display.

The cool part about James Henstridge's libglade, on which this example
is based, is the way it wires up callback routines.  You pass it
a dictionary of callable objects, keyed by name.  It roots
through the Glade-based user interface hierarchy, and for every
connected signal declared in the interface, it looks for a callable
of the same name in the callback dictionary.  If it finds one,
it plugs it in.  It's cheap and easy.

In the example, Controller._connectToUI() assumes that you will
derive from class Controller and define all of the callback methods
in the derived class.

Hoping this helps...

--
Mitch Chapman
chapman at bioreason.com

#!/usr/bin/env python
"""This is an example of accessing Glade-built UIs from Python."""
import gnome.ui, gtk, libglade

class UI(libglade.GladeXML):
    """Base class for all UIs loaded from glade."""
    def __init__(self, filename, rootname):
        """Initialize a new instance."""
        libglade.GladeXML.__init__(self, filename=filename, root=rootname)
        self.root = self.get_widget(rootname)

    def show(self):
        """Make the UI visible."""
        self.root.show()

class Controller:
    """Base class for all controllers of glade-derived UIs."""
    def __init__(self, ui):
        """Initialize a new instance.  `ui' is the GladeXML UI to
control."""
        self.ui = ui
        self._connectToUI()

    def _connectToUI(self):
        """Wire up self to its UI.

        This method assumes that any method defined by self's class
        could be a Gtk+ callback.  It wires up any methods referenced by
        self's ui."""
        names = dir(self.__class__)
        d = {}
        for name in names:
            d[name] = getattr(self, name)

        self.ui.signal_autoconnect(d)

    def show(self):
        """Show the user interface."""
        self.ui.show()

def main():
    """Module mainline (for standalone execution)"""
    class SampleController(Controller):
        def on_pushBtn_clicked(self, *args):
            """Called when the 'push me' button is clicked."""
            print "Thanks for pushing me."
            gtk.mainquit()

        def on_win_delete_event(self, *args):
            """Called when the window is deleted."""
            gtk.mainquit()

    theUI = UI("ui.glade", "win")
    theController = SampleController(theUI)
    theController.show()
    gtk.mainloop()

if __name__ == "__main__":
    main()

CreateWorkspace create_workspace src pixmaps C True True GtkWindow win
delete_event on_win_delete_event Wed, 03 May 2000 00:16:13 GMT
GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL GTK_WIN_POS_NONE False False True False GtkVBox vbox1
False 0 GtkLabel label1 Go on, push the button. GTK_JUSTIFY_CENTER False 0.5
0.5 0 0 0 False False GtkButton pushBtn True clicked on_pushBtn_clicked Mon,
22 May 2000 15:28:00 GMT Push Me 0 False False