Python on FreeBSD

Sean Blakey sblakey at freei.com
Mon Jun 26 13:27:57 EDT 2000

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 12:06:11AM +0000, dsavitsk wrote:
> i've been doing the python thing for a while on win32, but i finally got my
> bsd box up.  i did a make install, and python from the terminal window
> works.  i am wondering how to start idle, or some other ide.
> also, will i need to make install other stuff to connect to interbase or
> postgres?
> thanks
> doug
>

> --

I assume you installed python from the port.

Most of the other things included in the windows python distribution are
seperate packages under FreeBSD.  Here is a brief list of the python ports I am
aware of:
astro/pyweather
audio/pysol-sound-server
databases/gadfly
databases/py-MySQL
databases/py-MySQLdb
databases/py-PyGreSQL
devel/idle              # Install this to get the idle IDE
devel/py-htmlkit
devel/py-kjbuckets
devel/py-kqueue
devel/py-mxDateTime
devel/py-mxStack
devel/py-mxTools
games/pysol
graphics/py-imaging
graphics/py-imaging-handbook
graphics/py-opengl
lang/python             # I suspect this is the only one you have installed
lang/python+ipv6
lang/python-doc-html
lang/python-doc-pdf-a4
lang/python-doc-pdf-letter
lang/python-doc-postscript-a4
lang/python-doc-postscript/letter
math/numpy
math/py-scientific
math/pygist
misc/py-distutils
textproc/py-mxTextTools
textproc/py-xml
textproc/sgmltools
www/py-HTMLgen
www/zope
x11-toolkits/py-gnome
x11-toolkits/py-gtk
x11-toolkits/py-kde
x11-toolkits/py-qt
x11-toolkits/py-tkinter     # Will be installed as a dependency for idle
x11-toolkits/py-wxPython
        -Sean

Sean Blakey, sblakey at freei.com
Software Developer, FreeInternet.com
(253)796-6500x1025
The trouble with computers is that they do what you tell them, not what
you want.
		-- D. Cohen