writing (Gnu)MAKE in Python

Cees de Groot cg at gaia.cdg.acriter.nl
Sat Jun 17 06:02:55 EDT 2000

John Schmitt <jschmitt at vmlabs.com> said:
>I'd love to take the diversion of writing Make using Python.  The things
>that are keeping me from doing this are, in order:

Check out Ant (at jakarta.apache.org). It's a Make replacement, in Java,
that has XML syntax and lets you build Java stuff reasonably
platform-indepentend. Now, I think XML syntax for a makefile is an
astonishingly stupid idea, but as it is wildly succesful you might as well
follow the lead. At the very least, you may get some good ideas from the
architecture, it seems well done.

On the other hand, check Perl. The makemake script is quite a nice idea
and deals with Makefiles as an output format (which is very satisfying
for lots of people :-)). Similarly, automake, which has an input syntax
closer to makefiles but similarly hides platform differences from you
(although I'm not sure that automake has been ported beyond Unix).

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Forge your CipherSaber and list it: http://www.xs4all.nl/~cg/ciphersaber/