Python code editable/viewable by user

Robert Kern kern at caltech.edu
Fri Jun 2 16:27:29 EDT 2000

In article <KbRZ4.939$gr4.39365 at news1.rdc1.il.home.com>,
	"dsavitsk" <dsavitsk at e-coli.net> writes:
> I am looking for advice from someone who may have tried this before...or who
> thinks at least that it is not such a bad idea.
> i am working on a program where a user is presented a Tkinter interface.
> They push a button, some stuff happens.  The tricky part (i think) is that i
> want some of the even handler code to be in a text box where the user can
> edit it.

This is precisely what PTUI does (only in a more developed sense).  PTUI is
(was?) a pre-IDLE Python/Tkinter IDE that was written for a very similar
purpose to yours.  The author needed to be able to edit the program he was
running as he was running it.

More information and the last release are on the Starship:

http://starship.python.net/crew/zack/ptui

[snip]

--
Robert Kern